The primary objective of Earth Day, observed annually on April 22nd, is to increase public awareness of issues that may impact our environment for current and future generations. Sustainability is the key to successfully protecting our air, land and water.
Today, hospitals face challenges of low operating margins, reduced reimbursements and budget cuts. One effective “green” strategy that facilities are increasingly implementing to improve their environmental and financial health is reprocessing of single-use devices (SUD). Approximately 3,000 out of the nation’s 5,000 hospitals have adopted reprocessing programs that save them money and reduce their carbon footprint.1
Did you know...
- The U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) found that facilities using reprocessed devices saved an average of $200,000 to $1 million annually?2
- Hospitals with a reprocessing program were able to reduce their annual medical waste by 50,000 pounds?3 That’s equivalent to the weight of more than five elephants!
Arjo is committed to partnering with you to meet your initiatives through our program Arjo Pure™, a cost-effective, sustainable solution for reprocessing noninvasive medical devices. Arjo Pure uses water-based, high-level disinfection (HLD) pasteurization that doesn’t require carcinogenic chemicals, such as ethylene oxide (EtO).4 Arjo Pure is a safe, non-toxic alternative that allows medical devices to remain in circulation longer, which reduces medical waste, thereby providing substantial cost savings to the facility.
Single-use, noninvasive medical devices reprocessed by Arjo Pure include:
- Compression garments
- HoverMatt and Sage AirTAP lateral air transfer mattresses
- Pulse oximeter probes
- ECG leads
- PAPR hoods
- Infusor bags
- Pneumatic tourniquets
It’s always the right time to promote sustainability in your facility and invest in the future of our planet. The grass can be greener AND so can your bottom line!
Click below for a complimentary Arjo Pure Savings Assessment!
|Learn more about Arjo Pure at the CleanMed trade show on May 7, booth #112 in Nashville!|
- Modern Healthcare. Repositioning Reprocessing. http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20130706/MAGAZINE/307069957. Accessed April 3, 2019.
- Association of Medical Device Reprocessors (AMDR). The Business Case for Reprocessing (2011). http://amdr.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Business-Case-for-Reprocessing-for-web-1.pdf. Accessed April 3, 2019.
- Association of Medical Device Reprocessors (AMDR). Single Use Device (SUD) Reprocessing: Primer on How Industry Growth is Impacting Financial and Environmental Savings in the OR (2016). https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59447713cd0f68a843b292aa/t/596ce50317bffc03c0c0acb9/1500308744536/Vukelich_SUDReprocessing.pdf. Accessed April 3, 2019.
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Hazardous Air Pollutants: Ethylene Oxide. https://www.epa.gov/hazardous-air-pollutants-ethylene-oxide/frequent-questions-ethylene-oxide. Accessed April 3, 2019.